A Wise Woman Knows She Does Not Know

Well… this has been enlightening.

As a Teacher Scholar, I thought I had Bloom’s Taxonomy down, but now I realize that over the last few years I have gotten lax about my teaching practices. I strive to ensure there are always learning outcomes posted at the beginning of each of my classes, and I honestly believe that my scaffolding teaching style was effective. However, I am now wondering if there are instances where I am merely hitting some surface outcome and ignoring the deeper learning that is required for success.

When I went back to school, I was a mature student who know what my goal was, so I know I often forget that there are students out there who are filling in blanks and trying to get through university as painlessly as possible. It is the educator’s job to trick them into learning more than they planned.

As a course designer, I am excited to re-evaluate what I have done thus far and revise using SOLO Taxonomy. I think that Hattie’s theories about feedback will also be useful for this endeavor as well as for my classroom practices. I am looking forward to the next two modules. – Tara